Sunday, October 30, 2011

Hoo Hoo- As in the owl noise.

Yesterday I rode to Mililani with my roommate and a few other girls for a WallyWorld adventure.  I finally got a second pillow and slept wonderfully last night :)

Our next stop was Ross.

Everyone else bought.....
stock photo : dress collection

(these aren't the ones they bought.  They all bought modest ones of course this is just a google image result for cute dresses)

And I bought...

(not the best photo but i didn't feel like trying to change the lighting to make it better. sorry. even in bad lighting I LOVE them!!)

I fell in love with these owls as soon as I saw them.  Everyone kept asking me if I love owls but I don't I just really loved these two.  I just know that some day when I am decorating my own little house these owls will look perfect in it.  But then I considered having to get them back to Tennessee = hassle.  So I put them back.  But as I kept trying on clothes I couldn't get them out of my mind.  So I bought them.  And now they are sitting on my dresser for a while and maybe I'll ship them home sometime or maybe they'll live here in Hawaii with me till I leave...

All of this got me thinking though.  While other girls were buying cute dresses for an upcoming dance I was buying future home decorations.  Maybe I am one step ahead of myself. Maybe I should buy a dress to look cute to attract a boy to marry me so I can have a future house to decorate.  (I do realize that there's a lot more to the process then those three little steps and it takes a lot more than just a cute dress to attract a boy- and if it doesn't he's not the boy I want- but ya know work with me here)  But the more I thought about it the more pleased I was with myself.  First, I didn't find any dresses there I don't already have the same style of and don't wear often enough. Two, (this is where the "Sunday Ponderings" comes in) just because I'm not married yet doesn't mean I shouldn't be thinking about and preparing for that stage of life.

I'm still trying to find a happy balance between enjoying these singles fun (or not so fun) years and looking forward to the married/family ones (which I'm sure will be fun and not so fun too). Sometimes I forget to have fun now because I am looking forward so much to the next stage and for a split second I was worried the other girls would think I am nuts... But really who cares if I don't have a husband or a house yet. I have owls and i am having fun and appreciating this single time and I'm implementing and perfecting hopefully life-long habits like scripture study and prayer and not spending to much time watching tv while it's just me I have to worry about.

 And I am happy with where I'm at.

I know this post is getting really long but I have to add this too because it's Sunday Ponderings and I have been pondering this one all last night and into the morning.  At the Wal Mart I bought some new polka-dotted sheets that were on sale for my bed because my old ones were too big.  Last night when I laid down I was thinking about how these sheets aren't very cute and I wish I would have gotten a different color but the other colors weren't on sale. I was even totaling how much another cuter set would cost.. And then I thought about how terribly unthankful I am sometimes.  I have a bed.  With sheets on it. New ones because the old ones were too big.  In  Hawaii.  Where I got to college. Which I am able to afford because of the blessings of so many wonderful church members. and I'm worried about the color of my sheets?  Pathetic.  I have more things to be grateful for than there are polka-dots on my sheets. And I'm keeping these sheets to remind me of that.  I'm so glad the Lord helps me to have humbling thoughts.



sweet or tart?
I googled it and most owls think peaches are yucky but some think they're sweet.

3 comments:

  1. I really don't think I could love you much more than I do right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your owls! And just as a side note (related to your "humbling thoughts" comment) sometimes I'm tempted to complain about being poor, since living on a student stipend can sometimes be challenging. When that happens I am quietly reminded by JC that we are not poor. It helps to have someone around that grew up in a third world country to keep me honest. )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the owls. Love this blog. Love the way your mind works and how you narrate it. Love Sunday Ponderings. Love you.

    ReplyDelete