Sunday, October 16, 2011

Timshel- Thou Mayest

One of my favorite books is East Of Eden by John Steinbeck which is a novel based on the story of Cain and Abel from the Old Testament.   A major theme of the book is based on the Hebrew word timshel or timshol.  A word I have spent a lot of time researching and pondering and have come to love.  And since it has been prominent in my mind this week I want to write about it. 

Without getting too in depth the word is brought to attention in the book as the Chinese servant, Lee, is studying different translations of the Old Testament and comes upon a variation. 

In Genesis in the Old Testament Chirst is speaking to Abel who has committed many sings. It says in chapter four “If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him."

Then Lee reads the New American Standard Bible translation which says "If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and do thou rule over him."

Lee takes this variation to the Chinese elders who research and find that the original Hebrew word that was translated is timshol which would translate into timsh’l and therefore written and said as timshel in our time.  Although this word can have varying translations depending on the words surrounding it in this instance it is most often translated as thou mayest. As in our agency given to us through Jesus Christ by our Heavenly Father.
 
In the book Lee says “ The “word timshel—‘Thou mayest’—that gives a choice.  It might be the most important word in the world.  That says the way is open.  That throws it right back on a man.  For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.’” (p. 349)


Lee continues, “’Thou mayest’… makes a man great, that gives him stature with the gods, for in his weakness and his filth and his murder of his brother he has still the great choice.  He can choose his course and fight it through and win.”


And now each time I face a difficult situation, an unexpected turn in the road or even worse a big ol’ bump in the road I think to myself- timshel- Thou Mayest. 

The past couple of years I faced a lot of unexpected challenges and my love for having a life plan made and carried out solely by me was humbled.  I found myself in situations that left me wanting to turn my back on what I knew was right and run.  But I didn’t.  I stayed and fought.  Fought to gain a greater understanding and stronger relationship with my Father in Heaven. 

Thou Mayest.  Thou Mayest conquer evil.  Thou Mayest overcome seemingly unbearable trials.  Thou mayest be strong even in your weakest moments with the Lord at your side. Thou mayest return to Him some day after enjoying and enduring this mortal life. 


sweet or tart?
savory sweet

1 comment:

  1. Thou mayest be one of the best sisters ever! Although we've talked about this concept before; I love the way you explain it here. You are a great woman.

    ReplyDelete