Thursday, November 21, 2013

No cute title cuz I wrote about death

I couldn't think of a cute title for this post because really how do you talk about death in a cute way?

But today I read a quote from another blog (aninchofgray.blogspot.com- A mother who lost her son at a young age) and I really wanted to share it.

Death really is such a big part of my life and something I think of everyday.  Not in a morbid way, but just because oh how much it has shaped my life and who I am.  

"To love is to lose. It's just that simple. Maybe not today but someday. It is the inevitable condition of humanity. Some sadness has no remedy. Some sadness you can't make better."

"But then why isn't everyone walking around miserable all the time?"

"Because ice cream still tastes good. And sunny and seventy-five is still a lovely day. And funny movies make you laugh, and work is sometimes fulfilling, and a beer with a friend is nice. And other people love you, too.  [Death] has been around since time immemorial. You've run up against it. And there's no getting around or over it. You stop and build your life right there at the base of that wall. But it's okay. That's where everyone else is too. Everyone else is either there or on their way. There is no other side, but there's plenty of space there to build a life and plenty of company. Welcome to the wall."
-Goodbye for Now by Laurie Frankel

I like the imagery that an intimate death builds a wall on your "old" life and you are faced with building a new one. 

When my mama passed away I would often tell people it wasn't just her that died.  It was our family unit as it stood then.  It was that world that we had lived in with her around.  It was "that" life, with her around.  I learned you not only grieve the loss of someone you love so much but also the loss of the way things were with them, because things will never be the same again.  Yet, somehow you figure out how to be happy again and it seems strange and even wrong sometimes but you build a new life. 

Well, we do have eternity but that's a topic for another day. (click for a great talk about my beliefs, and Latter-day Saint belief, of eternal families!  http://www.lds.org/ensign/1996/11/the-eternal-family)


sweet or tart? 
How is it that death can be sweet? Because it's so damn tart sometimes. 

3 comments: