Saturday, November 30, 2013

Life lessons at the haircut store.

Oh yesterday.

I went to get a hair trim.  I walked in and there was a college girl doing three women's hair at the same time, 2 people waiting,  and one almost bald man looking bored.  He immediately asked if I'd like a cut. Still trying to process the scene- why is she doing all those ladies hair at the same time? I've never seen this man before and this is a small town, who is he? Why are those women waiting and not getting their hair done?- I hesitantly agreed. He reminded me of Robert Duvall..... Yeah, that means he was balding on the top with a little hair around the edges and he had curls in the back. And I was going to let him cut my hair.

I sat down.  Told him all I wanted was a trim, taking off as little length as possible and he began.  And while he cut he talked and talked. Oh what a life this man has had.  Wives- many of them.  Years in Mexico.  Children who won't be in contact with him.  Crass jokes that I wished Gran-Gran was still around to call up and tell them to. And then he said something that I keep thinking about-

"Life is like a door- You put hinges on it and anybody can walk through."

Deep right? But really, my mind keeps coming back to it.  What does that mean? Life is a door with hinges so anybody gets to try it or when you put 'hinges' on your own life you'll get all sorts of people in it?

I might have to go back and ask him what he meant by it.

What I learned? Take a chance on the bald barber- he did a great job, taught me a new style for my hair, gave me a discount, taught me a few new jokes, and gave me something to ponder.



Sweet or tart-
His mulletish curls were pretty sweeeeeeeet.

1 comment:

  1. The whole time I was reading this I felt nervous for your hair...and you.

    ReplyDelete