Saturday, November 9, 2013

Bula Vinaka- How it all began

Yesterday I was talking to a friend in the School of Education building on campus about something that happened in Fiji and she said "I remember the day you walked into this classroom and said 'Guys, I think I'm going to Fiji in a month?'".  Then I started reminiscing on that day and the ones that followed and I wanted to write about them.



It was a warm day in April... Just kidding I don't really remember what the weather was but I do remember I was having a funky day.  I was tired and and in a weird mood and decided to leave work early so I could get to my next class early, so I could just sit in a dark classroom and be alone for a few minutes.  When I got there, I sat for about 2 minutes and then felt like I couldn't sit any longer.  Now this in and of itself is odd because I'm not one of those people that can't sit still. I can.  But on this day I couldn't sit.  So I got up to walk around the School of Ed and walked into the hallway where I saw a sign- one I had seen on the wall for the past couple of weeks, but had never really stopped to look at.  It was about an internship opportunity in Fiji for the 5-week summer break.  At the bottom it said to email Brother Bailey, one of the professors who I had never worked with or had a class from before, for more information.



I have always dreamed of living in another country but it hadn't happened for me.  So of course, I thought about how amazing it would be to live in Fiji.  And then I immediately began to think about how they probably only wanted Fijian students or it was too late to apply or how much money I could make if I stayed and worked during those 5 weeks but something in me pulled me over to one of the computers in the lobby to send an email to Brother Bailey.



This part still gives me chicken-skin --- Just as I opened a blank email and began... Brother Bailey walked out of his office and asked if anyone in the lobby was looking for him.  I turned around to see that I was the only one in there.  Uhhhh.... well... I told him I was actually just putting together an email for him about Fiji. We chatted, he asked a couple questions, showed me on a map where the internship was, and within about 5 minutes told me I could go.  Whaaaaat? I was so confused and told him I wasn't even really sure and I needed to check my budget and pray about it and I would let him know on Monday if I wanted to.

I went home. Freaked out. Prayed. Budgeted. And emailed him on Saturday I wanted to go.

And then began the craziest adventure of my life. (Which I will write more about later)

When I think about everything that has and is happening in my life as a result of this trip I can't help but see the tender mercies of my Heavenly Father and his guiding hand in leading me to this internship.



Sweet or tart?
Missing Fijian sweet/tart lemon-leaf tea for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack. Even when you're sweating and hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment